Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Meet Our Organizing Interns

Tenants Together's organizing work focuses on reaching out to tenants in areas across the state that have few protections for renters, holding tenant meetings to find and develop leaders, and providing assistance to a Tenant Action Group to advance renters rights in their area. As a statewide organization, we also work online to educate and create awareness of the importance of renters' rights to advance social and economic justice for Californians. As with much of our work, we wouldn't have as much of an impact without with support of volunteers and interns. This summer we had two special people join us to support our organizing work. Get to know them!

Mark Cummings (Organizing Intern)



Where did you grow up? 
Santa Maria, CA

What were the experiences of renters in your neighborhood?
Nothing like some of the stories I've heard since doing organizing.

Why did you decide to intern with Tenants Together?
I have an interest in economic justice and working to help others.

What’s next for you after your internship?
I'm continuing with school. I want to obtain a Master of Public Administration degree.

What's your dream job? 
Executive Director of a non-profit.

What do you enjoy about working with fellow Tenants Together staff & volunteers?
The knowledge they provide, their positive attitudes, and that they are overall great people.

What's the craziest landlord story you've heard?
The one about a landlord sawing the boards under someone's home so it would become uninhabitable.

What's the least realistic onscreen portrayal of an internship you've ever seen? 
Umm... (don't know).

What's one thing someone would never guess about you? 
I love to cook and try new foods. Also, I'm really good at jumping on a pogo stick. :-)


Maro Guevara (Online Organizing Intern)



Where did you grow up?
Panama City, Panama

What were the experiences of renters in your neighborhood?
Most people were actually homeowners, but I've been a renter in California since 2008, which has influenced the way I think about the tenant-landlord dynamic.

Why did you decide to intern with Tenants Together?
I'm really interested in what's going on with renters in California and the Bay Area, especially with the recent uptick in evictions and condo conversions. I also wanted to empower myself as a renter and apply some of the social media skills I've gained as a freelancer to a non-profit context.

What’s next for you after your internship?
I've been doing social media management through a startup called Social Sonar for the past couple of years, so I'll continue to do that. I'm also working on becoming a copy editor through a UC Berkeley Extension program. Besides that, I'm committing myself to my job search and exploring grad school programs.

What's your dream job? 
Right now, I'd like to find a communications position with an arts or service organization. Something that combines writing, editing, some design and online community management would be awesome. 

What do you enjoy about working with fellow Tenants Together staff & volunteers?
I really enjoy the collaborative way in which this office works; how everyone is so knowledgeable and willing to support each other.

What's the craziest landlord story you've heard?
The coverage about the so-called "Mayor of Fulton Street" was pretty crazy and hard to believe.

What's the least realistic onscreen portrayal of an internship you've ever seen?
The Devil Wears Prada. Only because working for Anna Wintour is probably a lot worse.

What's one thing someone would never guess about you? 
I played a robot in a production of The Tempest.


Interested in joining our team as a volunteer or intern? Check out the opportunities here.

No comments:

Post a Comment